Greetings! I have a new website that will contain my blog as well as links and photo galleries. It is at http://tiptoncreative.com
This blog will remain, but there will be no updates to it in the future. Feel free to checkout my new site.
I’m not very good at memes, but thought I would give this one a try.
In this post I will be sharing 11 random things about myself, answering 11 questions that my friend Katherine posted on her blog and posing 11 questions of my own.
11 Random things about me
1. I do love coffee, but I love the coffee house environment just as much
2. I love horror movies. Scary ones, gory ones…scary and gory ones.
3. I have an awesome husband. We also have 2 pets: Jake, our chocolate lab and Ariel, our cat. My family and friends are a very important part of my life and I love them all!
4. I was never what you would call a good student in school. With the exception of my Junior year in high school. That year I made straight A’s and even received an award for the top grades in American Lit. To this day, I still struggle with writing. Go figure.
5. I lost my mom 30 years ago this month.
6. I like Chinese food way too much.
7. Although I have not done it in some time, I love cycling. This is the year I will get back on the bike.
8. I have recently come to love having smoothies for breakfast
9. I mastered the art of profanity by the age of 3…so I am told…over and over again.
10. I love road trips.
11. I’m a sucker for John Hughes movies.
Answers to Katherine’s 11 Questions
1. What is the best book you read last year? The Hunger Games and/or The Host
2. What three qualities do you love best about yourself? I like to think I’m caring, helpful and a good friend
3. Is there any food you haven’t tried and would be willing to try? What is it? (better yet- try it this week and let me know!) Yes. Indian food and vegetarian dishes.
4. What’s your favourite movie snack? Popcorn
5. What’s your favourite non fast food restaurant, and what do you like to order there? Olive Garden – Angel hair pasta with marinara, minestrone soup
6. What’s something you’ve achieved in the recent past that has surprised you? Had my photo accepted into The Art Alliance of Clear Lake’s Winter Exhibit and it sold opening night.
7. Where would you travel to if money and time were no object? New Zealand/Greece/India/Ireland
8. What would you love to earn money doing? Photography or nothing would be nice
9. What’s a favourite, feel-good song? "My Town" by Buck ‘O Nine & “Summer Breeze” (Tsuper Tsunami Remix version) – I was informed that feel-good song means get you pumped and moving, not just Happy stuff…Changing to “Break Stuff” by Limp Bizkit and “Feels So Good” by 311
10. What did you do on the weekend that was fun? Went on a photo outing with some awesome friends
11. What will you do today that is fun? Hang out with a great friend
- What was your favorite movie of all time?
- What is your favorite song of all time?
- What is your favorite food?
- Who inspires you the most?
- What is the number one location you want to visit before you die?
- Do you have a hobby? If so, what is it?
- What kind of mobile phone do you have?
- What kind of car do you own?
- What is your favorite sport?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- What makes you happy?
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away." ~Eudora Welty
Check out my About.Me page for my complete web presence
This year was definitely filled with ups and downs. Below are some of the things that happened in my life during the year.
- My Uncle Jimmy passed away early in the year. We had spent Christmas Day with him and I had snapped a photo of him which turned out to be the last one.
- The only out-of-town vacation we took in 2011 was to Caddo Lake in NE Texas
My Caddo Lake Flickr Set
- One of my photos was sold to an interior design firm based in Washington DC. They used it as part of a design project here in Houston.
- My Uncle Sonny passed away. I accompanied my Dad to the service and family visits in the Texarkana area. It really stinks that most of the time you spend time with extended family is around the death of another family member. I did not know my Uncle Sonny very well, but learned a lot about him during this time. Such as he fought in WWII as a part of Company K. There is a book about them and he is mentioned. He was also an established Mandolin player.
- I was laid off from my job (after 8 years) in September due to Medicare cuts. My husband’s business has picked up somewhat, so I am working for the business as well as working on my Photography. Things do happen for a reason.
- One of my photos was accepted to the Winter Juried Exhibition at The Art Alliance of Clear Lake and sold opening night. What a feeling!
- I sent several photos to Channel 2 and had them show on air. Local Meteorologist Anthony Yanez shows photos sent in by Houston area people during his forecasts between 5am and 7am. Below are my photos that were shown during 2011.
- I completed my 2011 365 Project. What a feeling of accomplishment! :)
There it is. My 2011 in a nutshell. Here is hoping for a great 2012 for myself and everyone else.
“If you see something that moves you, and then snap it, you keep a moment.” – Linda McCartney
Check out my About.Me page for my complete web presence
I attended the October 2010 League City Photography Meet up Group this past week. There were a few new faces and lots of information changing hands.
Themes for this month
- Shoot the Moon (best 125-250 @ f8-f11)
ISO basically turns up sensitivity on your sensor to shoot in low light. The tradeoff is noise.
Here are a couple of links that have some good information on ISO -
Auto ISO might be an alternative to remembering to change the ISO all the time. If you do not use Auto ISO, this article suggests that if you make it a habit to change the ISO back to 200 when you are finished shooting for the day, it may help prevent ISO disasters created from forgetting that your ISO is set on 1000+ when you are shooting outdoors in sunny conditions.
Noise Reduction Software
UPDATE: I ran across a good article from Light Stalking titled What Every Photographer Should Know About Reducing Noise in PhotoShop.
Zenfolio (now a sponsor – 15% off for the first year for the group)
- Luminous Landscape
- Texas Photo Forum
- Topaz Filter Plugin for PhotoShop
- Kelby Training – you can subscribe by the month or year.
“A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into.” -Ansel Adams